A democratic snapshot of real English
This content contains all entries from “Collins English Dictionary [12th edition]” and “Collins Thesaurus of the English Language – Complete & Unabridged 3rd edition” published by the British company HarperCollins.
The dictionary is drawn from the Collins Corpus, the largest word-gathering database in the world with more than 4.5 billion words, and combined with a selection of emerging words submitted by the public via the award-winning collinsdictionary.com.
The Collins English Dictionary is a democratic snapshot of real English as it is spoken today around the world. All will be drawn in by evolving definitions and new, rare, and quirky words.
Explore the ever-changing landscape of the English language with award-winning author Mark Forsyth's insights, in which he casts an analytical eye over the latest fields and shifts in meaning that the dictionary reflects.
In an innovation that will delight word gamers and crossword solvers, the Collins English Dictionary also now uniquely includes words previously only found in the official Scrabble™️ word list.
Always at the cutting edge of language change, Collins offers you the very best of new and emerging words, (as well as those that haven't quite made it yet, the ones we all love--and those we love to hate).
Word enthusiast Lucy Mangan shares her passion and pique as she delves into these murky waters, taking you on a journey into the peculiarities of the new words' creation process.
The Times said that “the Collins English Dictionary is a book to be treasured, no home should be without one.”
Features and functions
- Search within entries, idioms, examples
- Customize search options (starts/ends with, appears in idioms/examples)
- Fast pattern-match search (*, ?, vowel, consonant and group of letters) for crossword solving
- Pronunciation audio available offline (all headwords by UK and US speakers)
- “Jump” feature – touch any word anywhere in the dictionary to go to the definition
- Search text within entry
- Bookmark and history functions
- Syncing bookmarks and history with iCloud
- Clipboard search
- VoiceOver read outs dictionary contents
|Update date||March 4, 2019|
|Release date||June 5, 2014|
|Title||Collins English Dictionary with Thesaurus 12th edition|