Making it perfect for learners of English
This content contains all entries from “Collins COBUILD Advanced Leaner’s Dictionary [9th edition]” published by the British company HarperCollins.
The 9th edition of the Collins COBUILD Advanced Learner's Dictionary offers up-to-date coverage of today's English in a clear, attractive format.
This dictionary is ideal for upper-intermediate and advanced learners of English. It covers all the words, phrases, and idioms that students need to master in order to speak and write effective English. With full-sentence definitions written in simple, natural English, this dictionary is easy to use and understand.
The examples, taken from the 4.5-billion-word Collins Corpus, show learners how the words are used in authentic contexts. The dictionary also provides extensive help with grammar, including grammar patterns for many of the examples, and a grammar reference in the supplement.
The Collins COBUILD Advanced Learner's Dictionary provides invaluable and detailed guidance on the English language, and is the complete reference tool for learners of English.
What is “COBUILD”?
“COBUILD” is an acronym for “Collins Birmingham University International Language Database” and is the name of a collaborative research project between the famous British dictionary publisher Collins and Birmingham University.
It is an epoch-making monolingual dictionary of “living English” that uses the huge database accumulated in the corpus ― The Bank of English™.
It was also the world's first dictionary to be based on a corpus and has been widely loved by English learners around the world for more than 20 years.
Features and functions
- Search within entries, idioms, examples
- Customize search options (starts/ends with, appears in idioms/examples)
- Fast pattern-match search (*, ?, vowel, consonant and group of letters) for crossword solving
- Pronunciation audio available offline (all headwords by UK and US speakers)
- “Jump” feature – touch any word anywhere in the dictionary to go to the definition
- Search text within entry
- Bookmark and history functions
- Syncing bookmarks and history with iCloud
- Clipboard search
- VoiceOver read outs dictionary contents
|Genre||English learner’s dictionary|
|Update date||April 7, 2020|
|Release date||June 5, 2014|
|Title||Collins COBUILD Advanced Learner’s Dictionary 9th edition|